Wednesday, October 13, 2004

ESB vs. EAI vs. ETL

I'm pretty interested in the integration space, working across the application, data, and process boundaries.

Since my work is mostly in the Microsoft .NET world, I've predictably got a good bit of experience with Microsoft BizTalk Server 2004. It's a traditional hub-and-spoke EAI system, and I enjoy using it.

However, I've recently finished reading Enterprise Service Bus by Dave Chappell of Sonic Software and it's an intriguing way to go about the problem of integrating many disparate applications, data sources, and business processes. I'm doing some work now investigating the different products in this space. One site I've found that's interesting is Loosely Coupled, which focuses on the concept of loosely coupled software. SOA of course. Got to get the buzzword in there.

Interesting stuff though right now with Web Services, the WS-* standards, and integration in general. I think it's where a good deal of the action is now. There's also a big spot open in the market I think on the Microsoft side, since their Indigo messaging subsystem won't be around until 2006 at the earliest.